Who could resist a cutie face like this? Not me. Except when he's asking for EVERYTHING everywhere.
I've recently remembered that I used to have a brain. The smart person in me figured out that one quarter could buy me a peaceful shopping trip. Just like all little kids, Shmoo (that's what we've called him since he was a baby) really really REALLY wants to have a quarter to put into the silly little machines at the entrance of grocery stores. It doesn't even matter what's in them. The machines could be selling a handful of bellybutton lint and he would still BEG for a quarter to use in it. When we walk into the store I give him a quarter to hold in his hot little hand to spend AFTER we're done. The ground rules:
I've recently remembered that I used to have a brain. The smart person in me figured out that one quarter could buy me a peaceful shopping trip. Just like all little kids, Shmoo (that's what we've called him since he was a baby) really really REALLY wants to have a quarter to put into the silly little machines at the entrance of grocery stores. It doesn't even matter what's in them. The machines could be selling a handful of bellybutton lint and he would still BEG for a quarter to use in it. When we walk into the store I give him a quarter to hold in his hot little hand to spend AFTER we're done. The ground rules:
1) If he whines more than once or throws any kind of fit, I get it back.
2) If he wants to "buy something" with it, he can give it back to me in exchange for the ONE item he wants. (This has NEVER happened. He would rather spend it in the machine. Maybe someday he'll get smart, too.)
The quarter is powerful. He hasn't had to give me back his quarter, his behavior is great and my shopping is quicker and more peaceful. Maybe some will say that I should just make him behave without the quarter. Well, here's a quarter for you. Call someone who cares :)
No comments:
Post a Comment