Wednesday, October 10, 2012

middle school

Teaching middle school is oh so funny!  I chaperoned a dance a couple of weeks ago and it the feelings of joy, awkwardness, energy, angst, excitement and drama were thick in the air.  I just had a smile on my face the whole time.  The thing that really, really shocked me is that the kids actually DANCED.  We're talking 2 hours of jumping around and 'line dances'.  They didn't play one single slow song and those kids seriously danced the whole time.  It was amazing and fun.

************

My students recently had the assignment to write about something tough that happened in their life that changed them for the better or helped them to learn a life lesson that they were grateful for after it was all over.  Many of my kids wrote about their parents' divorce or the illness of a loved one.  And then I got an essay from a student whose trial was when s/he got lost (with a group of friends) while doing a scavenger hunt on a cruise ship.  The student was "totally bummed out" that they didn't win.  Oh, poor, poor student!  :)

No comments: